Tuesday, November 4, 2014

My Kindred Spirit


This post is about my oldest son, Zach. He's 20, a good college student, well-mannered, gentlemanly, and a superbly talented drummer. So, you may ask, how is this young man my "kindred spirit?"

The first time I noticed, we were watching a stand up comedy special together, I don't even remember what artist it was. Wait, what?? He's laughing at the same jokes I am? Hmmm.... Then I realized he gets my humor, too! He can take my bitchy sarcasm and dish it right back out! Whoa!

The big a-ha moment was three years ago. My sweet hubs surprised me for my birthday with tickets to a screening of the Phantom of the Opera live at Royal Albert Hall. Yes, I am a Phan. The hubs is most definitely not. But I decided I wanted him and my boy to come along. It's for my birthday, right?

As soon as the first scene ended and the Overture began, I heard my "kindred spirit" next to me gasp. He gasped. He loved it. He loved every single musical moment, the lighting, the acting, and, I think, even the storyline. He nudged his father at one point (and probably woke him up, honestly) and asked how he could possibly not like it.

And inwardly, I cheered.

No comments:

Post a Comment