Unfortunately, turkey day has become little more than the opening of the door to Christmas. Shopping on Black Friday beginning around, oh, 6am, used to be the norm. Now you have to inhale your poultry, potatoes and pie on Thankful Thursday and rush right out to get the best bargains! Christmas carols can be heard starting as early as November 1. And I have acquaintances and neighbors who already have their trees and/or house lights up.
Don't get me wrong. I love the Christmas season. I love everything about it: the lights, the decorations, the carols, the parties, the fun family outings, the giving of gifts. Most of all I love the reason we celebrate this magical holiday...the day that recognizes God's greatest gift to all mankind. And I really get into my Christmas decorating...I believe the term my husband and son like to use is "overkill". Whatever. At least I don't "overkill" until the weekend after Thanksgiving!
Unfortunately this year, it looks as though I'm going to have to break my rule. I know, I know. I think I might have heard thunder rolling as I typed that sentence. I have a reason...don't mock me for its lameness. My boy will be home from college the entire week of Thanksgiving. And he's a tremendous help. And I have a holiday party the first weekend of December. And I'll never get it done if I wait until November 30. I feel as though I'm committing a horrible sin. Me, the one who has preached for so many years "no Christmas until after Thanksgiving!" is giving in. *sigh*
I'm pretty sure I'll be forgiven. I'm also pretty sure I'm going to get a generous amount of sarcasm and teasing from my family and friends. So be it, my house will look amazing with all its "overkill" in plenty of time for my party.


No comments:
Post a Comment